- The Society
- Annual Meeting
- Member Login
The Toxicology Analyst will perform toxicology analyses for the Houston Forensic Science Center. The successful candidate will independently 1) perform chemical analyses of human fluids and tissues in human performance toxicology cases including driving under influence and drug facilitated crimes using chemical and instrumental methodologies, 2) prepare reports on findings for use in the criminal justice system, and 3) provide court testimony on analytical results. Experience with analysis of volatile and drugs in biological specimens is required.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related Biological Science. A postgraduate degree is strongly preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum of 3 year of work experience using advanced equipment, instrumentation in a forensic laboratory in the area of toxicology. Proven experience presenting testimony in a court of law as an expert witness is a plus. Certification by ABFT is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
• Comprehensive knowledge of principles, practices, and terminology of analytical chemistry as it applies to the field of forensic toxicology.
• Comprehensive knowledge of current developments in the field of Toxicology; through knowledge of modern laboratory principles.
• Comprehensive knowledge of pharmacologic and toxicological principles as applied to forensic toxicology analysis and interpretation.
• Experience in operating gas chromatography/liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry systems
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work well with all levels of employees and outside contacts
• Demonstrated skills at effective project management
• Demonstrated ability to think critically, troubleshoot effectively and make timely and sound decisions
• Demonstrated ability to work well with details
• Proven expertise in Microsoft Office applications