Fundamental Topics in Forensic Toxicology: Present and Future
Registration is now closed.
Dates: October 19-20, 2017
Location: Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office, Fort Worth, Texas
Cost: $100 SOFT members and students/$175 non-members
Hosts: Mr. Chris Heartsill and Dr. Robert Johnson
Abstract: This SOFT Continuing Education Regional Workshop will provide forensic toxicologists an overview of general pharmacology, followed by more detail on each of the commonly encountered drug classes, to include both drugs of abuse and prescription medications affecting the central nervous system. This information will be presented by a variety of experienced toxicology practitioners. The remainder of the workshop will address both current and upcoming topics in forensic toxicology such as the manufacturing of new psychoactive substances which are appearing in toxicology casework, the evaluation of alternative matrices for DUID casework, a primer on courtroom testimony from a local attorney, and a medical examiner’s perspective on how toxicology and physiology can be applied to postmortem investigations.
1. Understand basic principles of drug pharmacology
2. Understand specific pharmacology related to a number of drug classes
3. Be better prepared for courtroom testimony
4. Understand the origin of illicit drugs
5. Be knowledgeable on the current state of oral fluid testing
6. Know how toxicology reports, in combination with anatomic findings, are applied to postmortem investigations
Click here for additional information
Click here to make your hotel reservation