METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE & DAVIDSON COUNTY
Department of Human Resources
Crime Lab Forensic Scientist 2
Toxicology Unit #18145E
View entire posting and apply on line at: www.nashville.gov
Open Competitive Job Announcement
SALARY: $52,211.39 - $60,041.04/Annually
ISSUE DATE: 1/19/2018
FINAL FILING DATE: 1/28/2018
Crime Laboratory Forensic Scientist 2 - Toxicology Unit shall be directly accountable to the MNPD Crime Laboratory Forensic Scientist Supervisor - Toxicology Unit. This position operates at an intermediate level, independently performing toxicology testing, data collection, interpretation and report writing as assigned by the supervisor. Must be willing and able to work overtime, holidays, and weekends as needed.
***Extensive Background Checks are performed on applicants for the Police Department.***
• Examines physical evidence using scientific method, various scientific instruments, and technical software
• Follows laboratory procedures, quality control, quality assurance, safety, and security guidelines
• Prepares case files, report of results, and conclusions for court presentations and interviews based on internal policy and accreditation standards; testifies as an expert witness in courts regarding conclusions of the performed examinations; and communicates with law enforcement officials and attorneys
• Conducts technical and/or administrative reviews on scientific analyses and reports
• Conducts quality control testing on reagents and supplies
• Conducts validations, performance checks, recalibrations, and maintains records of laboratory equipment
• Maintains education, proficiency testing, and/or certification in specified forensic science discipline
• Acts as a unit training officer as requested; acts on behalf of forensic unit supervisor at professional meetings as requested
• Assists with short and long term planning of goals of forensic unit
Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, forensic science, or closely related science field and two (2) years of experience in toxicology casework in a scientific laboratory. Valid Driver License. No Substitution. Please attach a copy of your college transcripts to your application.
Candidates with accreditations earned in a foreign institute are encouraged to apply.
Note: Per Metro Ordinance No. SO94-1078. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of forensic laboratory accreditation standards
• Knowledge of the Society of Forensic Toxicologist (SOFT) recommendations
• Knowledge of forensic laboratory products, equipment, and instrumentation
• Knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques used in forensic toxicology
• Experience collecting and entering scientific data into data bases, retrieve results, confirm agreement and write formal reports
• Experience performing standard chemical and biological tests accurately and evaluating results
• Experience planning validation experiments and carrying out related tasks
• Experience using a laboratory information management system (LIMS)
• Ability to lift 50lbs or more
**An Incomplete application or missing documents may result in disqualification.**
Fill in complete work history, do not attach resume in lieu of requested information.